CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Google
 

Friday, February 20, 2009

Things are changing...


Tyler will be 12 in September, that sounds so strange for me to say 12. I think back when I was 12, it's crazy to think that I will have a son that age pretty soon. Anyway he never had a problem with me picking out his clothes until recently. Now he insists that he wear no more dressy shirts to school. He wants sports shirts , more older boy shirts so he says. Ok so it took me by surprise , I thought boys needed their Moms for these things longer at least than girls. I really thought Mackenzie would be asking to do that before Tyler. Oh and he says no more shirts with white in it a few girls at school do not like white on him. OK now we are listening to 5th grade girls opinions over our moms. He also wants allowance each week but does want to work around the house for the money , ok so thats a good thing I guess. Then what really tugged at my heart was the other night we were shopping and he asks for an advance on his allowance so he could buy his girlfriend a bear. I guess she was upset that he did not get her anything for Valentines Day. I'm still at the part of GIRLFRIEND. I had no idea usually Ty tells me when he likes a girl but he has said nothing about this girl. I thought OMG did I not pay attention, so I asked him how long he's had a girlfriend, he said for a while , he just did not want to tell me because he thought I might talk to her at his Valentines party. Anyway I watched my 11 year old son pick out the perfect bear for his girlfriend. OMG first teddy bears, whats next flowers and jewelry? Can't I just have my little boy back? This whole letting your kids grow up is way more harder and scarier then I ever imagined.

8 comments:

JT said...

Awwww... that's so cute! I got my first bear from my boyfriend in fourth grade (and for Valentine's). He's right on schedule! :) I can't wait for the boys to have girlfriends- what fun!

Not your Happily Ever After said...

I can relate with you. Although I'm not at the 12 year old yet, our Jason is turning 10 next month which is hard for me to wrap my brain around. And then we have Abby that is growing so fast and all the littles in between. It's hard to watch them grow, but you know they will weather we are watching or not. At least your a great mom that is watching!

Mandy said...

I LOVE the picture in this post! It's the cutest thing I have ever seen! I can't believe we are actually old enough to have 12 year old kids..it seems like our kids get older but we don't! Haha..great post!! I loved it!

Kristin said...

I was wondering why Ty has been vacuuming when I pick up the kids...now I know! I can't imagine what you are going through and alone. I am VERY lucky that I have GREAT friends who are going through this first...to help me out when I can't stop crying:)! Good for you for letting him pick out a bear. I would have freaked!!!
Like I have said a million times, good kids come from good parents!!!!

Lisa said...

It's hard to believe that Ty is going to be 12! It seems like just yesterday I was there watching him being born and thinking to myself" I am never going through that!" I have watched him go from a tiny baby to a great kid and now into a soon to be teenager! Where has the time went?

jennie said...

oh I would be really sad(ish) too! What gets to me is when my usually independent thinker is pushed to think that their clothes are not the right color for them, or is told that they shouldn't wear their hair like that. That childhood innocence starts to just evaporate, and we can only watch. Hold tight to your baby, Shelly. He will be needing you for a very long time(he just doesnt see it!!)

Lea said...

Oh girl..first of all, I agree with Kristin. I'm glad I have someone to go through this stuff first so I have someone to turn to. I know...selfish!! Someone has to be first and what a WONDERFUL example we have to follow! I too cannot believe he's going to be 12!! WOW!! Man - at 12 I was still playing with Barbies (barely). I think it's great he picked out the bear - shows he has been taught compassion. You and John are a grea example of a relationship for your kids to follow. Hang in there girl - as parents, we're ALL in for a BUMPY, unassisted adventure!!

Jodi said...

Oh, I know this all too well. Caleb refuses to admit he likes anyone but what boy spends his own money on new, cool clothes and cologne if there is nobody to impress?? I love it. I am not stressed at all. I cannot wait for all he will go through...until his heart is broken for the first, second and third time!!!

I am still very anal about things like crossing the street and riding bikes away from my sight. Things are so different now versus when we were kids. And driving...???